50-piece Limited Edition - GBP 2995 - US$ 2850
An icon of the skies, Concorde revolutionised air travel through its ability to reach Mach 2.04 - over twice the speed of the sound. Its legacy is celebrated in the C8 M2.04 Limited Edition, a watch whose design mimics the unique cockpit instrumentation that helped enable supersonic flight. A piece of metal from Concorde G-BOAB sits in the backplate of this 50-piece limited edition, while our in-house chronometer Calibre SH21 offers world-class levels of efficiency - much like the plane that inspired it.
Without a doubt, Concorde remains one of the crowning technological achievements of the 20th century. Capable of travelling faster than a rifle bullet, its pioneering spirit is celebrated in the C8 M2.04 Limited Edition – a 50-piece limited edition built to mark this beautiful plane’s 50th anniversary.
The M2.04’s 44mm grey DLC (diamond-like carbon) case and dial reference the instrumentation found inside Concorde’s cockpit – distinctly different in appearance to those found in other aircraft due to the complex nature of Concorde’s various systems that enabled supersonic flight. Most distinctive are its hour and minute hands, influenced by those found on the airspeed indicator panel (the alignment of these two hands indicating Concorde’s optimum speed). A clever fusion of design and functionality also arrives in a power reserve subdial present at 9 o’clock: it features the same intersecting red zone found in the Concorde’s Machmeter – this time to warn the user of their watch’s remaining power reserve – with bold yellow detailing to denote both the top and bottom of its Calibre SH21 movement’s 120-hour power reserve.
Yet the real occasion of this watch is found around the C8’s exhibition window, which contains a piece of valuable metal sourced from Concorde G-BOAB. Most notable for flying in formation with the Red Arrows down the Mall and over Buckingham Palace to mark the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, a piece of its rudder metal has been melted down, cut into a ring shape and engraved with the message ‘Rudder metal VW23 from Concorde 102, G-BOAB, 1969-2019, 50 years’.
From front, to back, to within, the C8 M2.04 Limited Edition is a watch indebted and inspired by the miraculous feat of engineering that is Concorde.
Listen to the interview with Mike Bannister, Chief Pilot, BA Concorde fleet for 22 years.
As a plane that could travel faster than the speed of the Earth’s rotation, Concorde was marketed as the ultimate method of transport for the time-conscious businessperson. With passengers taking off from London at 11am actually arriving in New York before their flight’s initial take-off time – they’d land at 9.20am in the Big Apple – the possibility of whirlwind business trips meant punctuality was crucial to Concorde’s operation.
It was only appropriate, then, that the M2.04 be powered by a hand-wound version of Christopher Ward’s in-house movement, Calibre SH21 – a chronometer-certified movement that rivals Concorde’s efficiency with a timing tolerance of just -4/+6 seconds per day. The first commercially viable movement from a British watch brand in over 50 years, Calibre SH21 is just as momentous for its 120-hour power reserve, monitored through the themed indicator on the C8’s dial. A small second complication only adds to the aeronautical theme.
Visible through the C8’s reverse exhibition window, a fuselage-inspired bridge reveals SH21’s twin barrels, here decorated with a silhouette of the Farnborough wind tunnels that helped develop Concorde, as well as other aeronautical greats including Spitfire.
- Diameter: 44mm
- Height: 11.9mm
- Weight: 87g
- Calibre: Calibre SH21 hand-wound chronometer (COSC)
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Vibrations: 28,800 per hour (4Hz)
- Timing tolerance: -4/+6 seconds per day
- Water resistance: 5 ATM (50 metres)
- Dial colour: Black
- Lume: TC-1 SuperLumiNova
- Strap width: 22mm
- Strap colour: Black/yellow
- Lug to Lug: 53.2mm
- Special limited edition of 50 pieces
- Swiss made
- Ring of Concorde G-BOAB metal with "Rudder metal VW23 from Concorde 102, G-BOAB, 1969-2019, 50 years" engraving embedded below museum-grade sapphire
- 27 jewel in-house Calibre SH21 hand-wound COSC movement with small second and power reserve complications
- 120 hour power reserve
- Decorated twin barrels of SH21 visible through exhibition caseback
- Bridge engraved and finished in black PVD
- Marine-grade grey diamond-like carbon (DLC) sandblasted stainless steel case
- Original Concorde instrument panel inspired dial and hands with TC-1 SuperLumiNova markings
- Instrument-themed small second subdial at 6 o'clock
- Museum grade anti-reflective sapphire crystal
- Sandblasted crown stamped with Farnborough wind tunnel profile
- Unique engraved individual serial number
- Deluxe presentation case and owner's handbook with signed Certificate of Provenance
Edited by nordwulf