Frank Wulfers

Gallery - functionality, improvements and suggestions

Post your suggestions for the Gallery section of the site here.

From a post by @mvlow in the Gallery:

Thanks Frank.  I thought I would test how easy it is to post images.  It seems like an album for each particular brand might be good for people searching for specific watches.  An album for Omega, CW, Rolex, Seiko etc.  

Creating the Hamilton album and posting the image was intuitive and easy.

It was interesting to see how much exif data it shows on the image.

I already created a category for CW watches and will do the same for other new brands that are posted. 

Categories contain albums and albums contain pictures. Members can create as many albums as they want in any category.

Hamilton for example is a category. As a member, you create a new album in a category and you add images to that album. When you submit the album, it will show up under the category. When you Continue without using an album, it will be posted in a general area that is not in a category.

I generally create a new album for an individual watch but you can also use one album for all your watches of for each brand.

So to summarize:

- select the category (i.e. Hamilton, Chr Ward)
- create new album in the category
- add images and description (optional)
- submit

image.png.1149ea16a0558b37a50552ed750194cf.png

That makes sense.  If I have an image I want to upload into a specific gallery and their is already an existing album for that particular model, should I post the image in the album created by someone else or create a second album for the image(s).  for example I have pictures of the CW c60 Vintage and you have already set up an album for that model in the CW gallery.  Should I just post in your album or create another C60 Vintage album?  Just trying to understand how you see things being organized so I don't create a bunch of clutter.

I think albums should belong to the member and only contain their images. That way, you can easily find and share your own content. You can easily search for something like "c60 vintage' which will bring up all albums that match that search. So yes, you should create your own C60 Vintage album.

image.png.c33a66046e364c09ad96671dbedff6b9.png

So perhaps we don't even need categories for each brand? There is a general category for watches and using search will more accurately find what you're looking for when searching by brand, model etc. When you add tags for an album or image like diver, flieger or german for example, it will be even easier to search for all German watches.

Sounds good.  I think both ways would work fine.  There still might be some advantage, however, to having separate categories so a member could easily go to a specific category without having to use the search function and quickly scroll through all of the albums with that brand in them.  It's just a thought, but visually it might be better.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:00 PM, mvlow said:

having separate categories so a member could easily go to a specific category without having to use the search function and quickly scroll through all of the albums with that brand in them.

Another possibility is having the galleries for each brand in the Clubs section. That way, you can create a new album in that club and will be easy to browse by brand.

Example: http://horology.world/gallery/category/7-images/

And if there is club for that brand already, members can create a new one themselves.