• Welcome to Horology.World

Signing up for an account is easy and free. Please join the Horology World community for full access as a member.

nordwulf

C65 GMT - CWA/CWC Limited Edition

C65 GMT - Dartmouth group buy  

5 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Vote for all models you would buy

• Option 1: C65 GMT hands: £895 (£746 ex VAT)
    • Option 2: Dartmouth hands with date at 3 - £995 (£829 ex VAT)
    • Option 3: Dartmouth hands - no date: £1050 (£875 ex VAT)
    • Option 4: Dartmouth hands - date at 6: £1095 (£912 ex VAT)

The GMT version came out ahead in the initial vote on the type of watch for a group Limited Edition. I contacted CW and discussed our ideas to see what the possibilities are. The team (Mike France, Chris Ward and Andrew Buchmann) offered us these 4 design options:

All of these use the regular C65 case and bezel and the dial design of the C65 Dartmouth. Please vote for all options you would buy.

Option 1: C65 GMT hour, minute and seconds hands: £895 (£746 ex VAT)

Option 2: Dartmouth hands with date at 3 - £995 (£829 ex VAT)

Option 3: Dartmouth hands - no date: £1050 (£875 ex VAT)

Option 4: Dartmouth hands - date at 6: £1095 (£912 ex VAT)

• Prices quoted are on a leather or hybrid strap, add £100 for a bracelet.
  • They can offer COSC certification for an additional £200. This would have to apply to the entire LE run and can not be applied to individual purchases. We will vote for this option later.
  • Base price for the least expensive option 1 converts to: €1037 (incl VAT) - US$ 960 - CA$ 1257 - AU$ 1400. For destinations outside the UK/EU, please add any import fees and duties that may be charged. Price conversions are done through Google at the time of this post so may change depending on the exchange rates.

These are the only C65 GMT models with the word mark at 12 which I think pleases many right from the start. The base price of option 1 is the same price as the regular C65 GMT so no additional charge for this custom LE. Promo codes can not be used for LEs.

C65-option1-2.jpg.4861aafb00be68f1f433f9060f18a29f.jpg

C65-option3-4.jpg.c82b77e978802160e4f4ab9981843d4a.jpg

Some information from CW:

We have given you in each case a choice of a COSC certified movement for consideration. The different prices reflect the varying degrees of bespoke work required for each design but at the lead-in price, I have decided because of your support of the CW brand, to absorb the difference ourselves and so all the prices are subsidised from that base.

They assume, however, a minimum order quantity of 25 pieces below which the pricing becomes much higher. We have also assumed a standard caseback. Whilst we have advised the price for a leather strap, a hybrid strap would also come in at this level. Everyone here thinks they all look fantastic, by the way! The lead-time for delivering the watches ordered would be 5 months from confirmation of order.

I had some question related to the pricing and design options. As most of us are probably not watch manufacturers, it is interesting to see how small changes can have a big effect on production time and cost.

Q: The difference between Option 1 and 2 appears to be a different hour and seconds hand. The price difference of £100 seems rather high or am I missing other differences?
A: You are correct, that is indeed the difference. The design is the same as the C65 Dartmouth but the hands need to be technically adapted to an SW330 GMT movement which requires new tooling and a larger minimum order requirement as a result.

Q: The difference between Option 2 and 3 seems to be the date window only. I expected a non-date version would be less expensive but it appears to be there other way around. Perhaps I am missing some other differences here as well.
A: Removing the date requires us to change the crown lever component to have 2 settings rather than 3 when you pull out the crown, hence the price difference.

Q: Can the dial be customized with a different color (i.e. green) or a gradient/ombre type dial as shown below?
A: Of course. However, if we are producing a new dial colour  we will need to go through a longer sampling process to ensure the quality of finish is correct which adds a couple of months to the delivery schedule as well as an increase in cost.

Q: Can numbers be added to the dial, for example 3,6 and 9 as shown below (preferably applied like the dial markers)?
A: Everything is possible but it could add substantially to the cost as we would need to do two new toolings and commit to a large minimum order requirement.

Q: Can we choose a different color for the GMT hand?
A: Again, of course we can do this but like with changing the numerals it will add substantially to the cost unless you are able to commit to 300 pieces, in which case not.

Q: With the COSC certification, does that have to apply to the entire run of this LE or can there be COSC and non-COSC versions as chosen by the buyer?
A: Yes, it would need to apply to the entire run.

image.png.44258d8b8d480abb778968505c728f68.png

Option 1 of the group LE is the favorite by far after just 1 day on the Facebook group poll. While I like the Dartmouth handset just a bit better, the group has voted for #1 so we'll continue with this design. The lowest price of all the options certainly is nice and it may be hard to justify a large price increase for just a different hand set or date window in a different spot.

Let's have an open discussion about the current proposal and see if we would like to have any other changes. While I don't have the numbers for the extra cost, we first need to figure out what we actually want. Color and gradient of dial and GMT hand color? SS bezel or perhaps black aluminum like the C65 Anthropocene? Any additional printing on the dial?

Any custom changes not found on other current C65 models and custom dial changes will most likely increase cost and add a couple of months to the current delivery estimate of 5 months. And perhaps this current proposal as shown here could be just fine. Please share your thoughts.

CWA-CC-LE-1.jpg.e2489b9010ec90db23a44f7beee31a6f.jpg

The handset with white lume that will be used. Red GMT hand will probably be an easy swap without extra cost with the orange GMT hand.

c65-41agm1-s0kb0-b0_macro4_1.jpg.85c4467e10ea3e8ca61a57f7e588965e.jpg

Hi Frank, 

All designs look good. My choice would be option 1, non COSC. The one change I would suggest would be the date at 6 to balance the dial.

However, I have my Seiko Blue Lagoon Turtle, so don't at this time need another blue diver watch. But will watch with interest on both the Christopher Ward Aficionardos Facebook group that I am also a member of and this CW Club group.

Wishing you good luck in getting 25 people so that you can go ahead with the watch.

Regards Dean

Edited by EddieTheBeast

Facebook poll is now at 35 backers + 3 here on HW for a total of 38. These numbers are better than expected.

image.png.ade5cbc1f5df6cd18a7590ed940cee6b.png

While we're waiting to hear back from CW, here is an impression of what the Dartmouth dial with the steel bezel will look like. This image shows the Dartmouth hands and I can't replicate the cricket bat / trident hands that will be used for this LE. It is also missing the date at 3.

cwa-cwc.jpg.66f252a3c9ca354dd51d9c9c69eecfd9.jpg

cwa-cwc-red.jpg.85e932715ae0a309feda670224ab6c14.jpg

Dark Teal - Blue Green

cwa-cwc-green.jpg.6c7f9c568c2f743d445a4f8c912f57a5.jpg

Still waiting for pricing details but wanted to share these designs and colors for the C65 GMT. The blue flat dial of the Dartmouth would be a safe color while the teal (blue/green) would be something unique and different. What are your thoughts on the scratched dial? Any other color suggestions?

These are of course computer generated images and the actual dial will of course look quite nicer. I was actually looking for an ombre (shaded) solid dial but this is certainly interesting as well.

CWA-1.jpg

CWA-2.jpg

I made this slightly lighter / less saturated blue than the Dartmouth blue. Something in between the teal and blue as in CW's proposal so more like a deep sea / dark turquoise blue as shown in the images below. I think that would look pretty amazing and makes it just a bit more special.

https://www.color-hex.com/color/446f8a

cwa-cwc-dark-turquoise.jpg.dbcfe3802289f93429e9b261231a5d2e.jpg

Frank, I love where your design is going! Looks fab! But I did like the scratched dial look and the date on it.

I honestly think if you put this one to the CW Forum, you’d get 100 people interested in total, with the interest you’ve already got outside the Forum!

Edited by EddieTheBeast

Thanks! Even though I am leading this LE project, it really is up to everybody who is joining in to share in other places like forums and social media groups. I try not to promote it too much myself as this may upset some people.

3 hours ago, EddieTheBeast said:

But I did like the scratched dial look and the date on it.

The image was just an impression for what the color will look like on a real watch picture. This LE will have the cricket bat hands and trident seconds hand from the other C65's and a date window at 3 as shown in the other samples.

While we're waiting to hear back from CW about the 3rd color option, you can now vote on the smooth vs the scratched dial here: 

The smooth dial was the favorite by far with about 80% of the votes. The final design choice will be the dial color:

The turquoise/blue dial is leading with a good margin so it appears that will be the color for this LE. 

image.png.e55b5d5cddbefc2bf6fd2488e72a4676.png